September is National Preparedness Month. There are a number of things you can do to increase your ability to respond to and deal with disasters:
- Start at www.ready.gov for information on how to make a plan and build a kit.
- Participate in America’s PrepareAthon.
- Receive CERT training. Keep an eye out for CERT training opportunities in Arapahoe and Douglas counties.
Other resources and volunteer opportunities:
- Rocky Mountain Medical Reserve Corps
- Participate as an Exercise Participant Volunteer.
All members who complete the General Emergency Services requirement (101 card) and CERT are eligible to wear the ES patch on their BDU uniform.
Training and participation with these organizations is not being provided by CAP, but we do recommend it. You sign up for it individually and do not need unit command approval. There may be an age requirement for active participation with some of these activities or organizations.
Congratulations to the recipients of the following awards that were presented at the 2014 Colorado Wing Conference:
Maj Don Bolles – Sorenson Cadet Programs Officer of the Year
Chaplain (Maj) Alan Garner – Colorado Wing Chaplain of the Year
Chaplain (Maj) Alan Garner – Rocky Mountain Region Squadron Chaplain of the Year
The following will be the cancellation policy for meetings or other squadron events.
- The meeting/event will be cancelled if:
- School was cancelled for Cherry Creek School District
- There is an Early Release from Cherry Creek School District
- After school activities are cancelled for Cherry Creek School District
- There is a blizzard warning in affect for the location of the meeting 1 hour before or 1 hour after the scheduled event
- There is an accumulation of 6 inches of snow on the ground at the time of the meeting
- The meeting/event will NOT be cancelled if:
- There is a delayed start for Cherry Creek School District
- Final authority to cancel meetings lies with the Squadron Commander
The Cherry Creek School District School Closure and Storm Information page is located at: http://www.cherrycreekschools.org/pages/storminfo.aspx
A new Orientation Flight for Saturday, August 3rd has been posted. Sign up if you would like to go flying!
There will be Color Guard Tryouts on July 19, 2013 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. Contact C/MSgt Chad Lewis for additional information or questions.
Congratulations to C/Col Hunter Ashburn – the COWG Cadet of the Year!
The Wing Commander and the wing Cadet Programs Staff would like to congratulate Mustang Cadet Squadron as the winner of the 2013 Color Guard Competition and Thompson Valley Composite Squadron as the winner of the Drill Team Competition.
We would also like to thank Maj Nathan Van Dam for his hard work in putting this years program together.
Gary L. Falls, Lt Col, CAP
Director of Cadet Programs
Color Guard Team – Overall: 1st Place
Color Guard Team – In Ranks Inspection: 1st Place
Color Guard Team – Mile Run: 1st Place
Color Guard Team – Panel Quiz: 1st Place
Color Guard Team – Standard Drill: 1st Place
Color Guard Team – Written Exam: 1st Place
Color Guard Individual – Male Fleet Foot: C/SSgt Andrew Conner
Drill Team – Overall: 2nd Place
Drill Team – Panel Quiz: 1st Place